I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Friday, January 15, 2016

Burritos

Fresh tomato salsa (Recipe)
6 oz. Chorizo sausage
1 lb. lean ground beef
2 cup finely chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 (8 oz.) can Ro-Tel tomatoes
1 (10 oz.) can refried beans
12 flour tortillas
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 cup sour cream
Guacamole (optional)

Discard chorizo casing.  Crumble chorizo into skillet and cook on medium, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.  Add beef and cook until no longer red.  Add onion, garlic, and cumin and cook until onion is soft, stirring frequently.  Discard any excess fat.  Puree tomatoes in blender and add to meat.  Heat to boiling, reduce to low, cover, and simmer about 15 minutes.  Uncover and cook over medium heat until most of liquid has evaporated and meat is moist and covered with sauce.  Stir in refried beans and cook until heated.

Place 1/4 to 1/2 cup meat mixture on each tortilla.  Sprinkle with cheese.  Fold in ends and roll up.  Place in a baking pan, seam side down.  Cover with foil and bake until warm.  Remove foil, put a row of salsa down the middle and sprinkle with cheese.  Bake until cheese melts.  Serve with salsa, sour cream, and guacamole.

This is my sister's recipe for great burritos.  She always takes ordinary things and makes them unusual and delicious.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment