I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Caramel Sauce

8 oz. sugar
4 oz. water
1/2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. light corn syrup
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 oz. unsalted butter

Combine first four ingredients in a heavy-bottomed pot. Stir gently to combine, cover and heat slowly. When the liquid has started to create steam, remove the lid and carefully place a candy thermometer inside the sugar mixture. Cook until the temperature reads 320 degrees F. While the sugar is cooking, bring the cream and butter to a boil. When the sugar has reached the proper temperature, remove the pan from the heat and very slowly add the cream mixture. This will create a giant amount of steam and cause the contents to rise, so take care not to get burned. Make sure the pan for the sugar has high sides, at least 6 inches. Once the cream has been added, allow mixture to cool. Serve over bread pudding or ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment