I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Friday, January 15, 2016

Chili Mac Casserole

2 lbs. lean hamburger
1 large onion, chopped
1 large bell pepper, chopped
1 (28 oz.) can stewed tomatoes
2 cans tomato soup
3 Tbsp. chili powder or to taste
Salt and pepper
1 lb. macaroni, cooked
2 (16 oz.) cans kidney beans, drained
1 lb. frozen whole kernel corn
2 cups grated cheese (optional)

Brown hamburger, onion, and pepper.  Drain grease.  Add tomatoes, soup, seasonings, and 1 soup can water.  Cook for 30 minutes.  Put remaining ingredients in large baking pan.  Stir in meat, mixing well.  Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.  If desired, remove foil and sprinkle top with cheese.  Return to oven until cheese is melted.

This casserole is a variation of the casserole served by our church two Saturdays a month at the Shelter to 80 to 100 homeless people.  For the Shelter we use mixed vegetables instead of corn and leave out the beans and chili powder.  We don't use the cheese as it sticks to the foil when we transport it.  It's a good covered dish selection or works great to feed a large group. 

No comments:

Post a Comment