I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Friday, January 15, 2016

Lasagna

1 box lasagne noodles
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 lb. lean ground beef
Salt and pepper
1/2 tsp. rosemary
1/2 tsp. oregano
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
1/2 cup dry red wine
2 eggs
2 cups (1 pint) ricotta or cottage cheese
8 oz. sliced  or grated mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Use no cook noodles, or cook noodles in salted water until tender (about 15 minutes) and drain. Heat oil in large skillet.  Cook garlic and onion until soft.  Add ground beef and seasonings and cook until beef is crumbly.  Add tomato sauce and wine.  Simmer for half an hour.  Mix ricotta or cottage cheese with eggs in a bowl.  In deep baking pan, spread a little of the meat sauce on the bottom, then a layer of noodles, a layer of meat sauce, a layer of one-half the ricotta cheese mixture, and a layer of one-half the mozzarella cheese.  Repeat with a layer of each, ending with a layer of noodles and the last of the sauce.  Sprinkle top with the parmesan cheese.  Cover top of dish tightly with tin foil.  Bake at 350 degrees  for 30 minutes.  Remove foil for last 10 minutes to let lasagne brown. Let cool slightly and cut into squares for serving. 

This was one of the first dishes I learned to cook when I was out on my own.  It seemed really exotic in the pre-pizza and pasta days.  It was also my first "published" recipe as it was my contribution to the Tallahassee Chapter, National Secretaries Association Cookbook in 1965.  It still tastes good, feeds a lot of people, warms up easily in the microwave, and travels well.

No comments:

Post a Comment