I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Sunday, January 17, 2016

Cornbread Dressing

Onion (chopped)
Bell pepper (chopped)
Celery (chopped)
Butter
Martha's Hoecakes
Biscuits (one per hoecake)
Eggs, boiled
Turkey stock or canned chicken broth

Sauté vegetables in butter.  Crumble hoecake and biscuits into pan.  (It takes about 3 hoecakes and 3 biscuits for a 9 x 13 inch pan of dressing.  Or make cornbread from any good recipe or cornbread mix.  Don't use Jiffy Mix cornbread.  It is too sweet to use in dressing.)  Add vegetables.  Chop and add boiled eggs--4 eggs is about right if you are using 3 hoecakes (Martha uses yolks only because the whites can get tough when baked, but I have eaten good dressing using both).  Add broth, mixing until the consistency of batter.  Pour into baking pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 to 45 minutes until set and lightly browned. 

This recipe came from my friend Martha Cash, who sometimes makes two pans of dressing for Thanksgiving or Christmas.  It never goes to waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment