I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Sunday, January 17, 2016

Counttry Biscuits

6 cups flour
3 Tbsp. baking powder
5 Tbsp. sugar
3/4 tsp. soda
2 tsp. salt
2 pkg. dry yeast
3/4 cup warm water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 1/2 cups buttermilk
Melted butter
Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.  Allow yeast to dissolve in warm water.  Add yeast mixture and rest of ingredients to flour mixture.  Mix until the dough is smooth.  Roll out on floured wax paper and cut into desired biscuit size.  Dip each biscuit into melted butter and place in baking pans.  Bake at 425 degrees until brown.  Let rise for 30 minutes first if you want them to be lighter. 
 
This is Tom Dunaway's recipe for great biscuits.  Tom and Joyce frequently have a crowd at their house in town or at St. Teresa.  Tom says this dough will keep in the refrigerator for about five days.

No comments:

Post a Comment