I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Sunday, January 24, 2016

Cream Pie

ANGEL CREAM PIE

1 cup heavy cream
2 cup sugar
2 egg whites, beaten stiff and folded into the cream and sugar. 
 
Pour into unbaked pie shell and sprinkle nutmeg on top.  Bake 30 minutes at 350E.
 
This is a recipe from my great grandmother Jerusha Catherine Peters (my mother's maternal grandmother).  Mother says it was delicious, but that those who have tried to duplicate it have failed as it tends to fall. 
 
 
 CREAM PIE

1 cup milk
2 Tbsp. flour
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 heaping teaspoon butter
Nutmeg

Stir flour into milk in pan.  Separate eggs, saving whites for meringue.  Add yolks and remaining ingredients to milk mixture.  Boil until thick.  Put into baked crust.  Beat whites of eggs.  Add 3 Tbsp. sugar.  Continue beating until they hold stiff peaks.  Spread over pie and brown in moderate oven.
  
Another recipe from Grandma Peters

No comments:

Post a Comment