I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Sunday, January 24, 2016

Pecan Pie

Pastry for one crust pie
1 1/2  cups pecan halves
3 eggs, beaten
2 cup sugar
1 cup light Karo syrup (or 1/4 cup cane syrup and 3/4 cup Karo)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbsp. melted butter

Fit pie crust into pan and flute edge.  Put nuts in bottom of pie shell.  Mix other ingredients and pour over nuts.  Bake at 325 degrees  for 45 to 55 minutes until center is firm.

This recipe came from Lois Ausburn, my friend Roberta's mother.  She had pecan trees in her yard in Calvary, Georgia.  I remember writing down the recipe in her kitchen on the back of an envelope after eating a piece (or two) of her wonderful pecan pie.  Pecans were such a treat when we moved to Florida.  There were five or six trees of different varieties on our farm in Madison.  Carolyn and I would pick them up each fall and sell them for pocket or Christmas money. 

No comments:

Post a Comment