I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Crepes Suzette

1 recipe crepes
2 Tbsp. sugar
8 Tbsp. softened butter (1 stick)
1/4 tsp. grated orange rind
1/2 cup orange juice
1/3 cup orange-flavored liqueur such as Grand Marnier
1/4 cup high-proof rum, warmed

In a small bowl, cream together sugar, 4 tablespoons of the butter and grated orange rind. Melt remaining butter in a large skillet. Add creamed butter mixture and stir until melted. Add orange juice and liqueur; bring to a low simmer, stirring. Bathe crepes in sauce, one at a time, turning them over then folding in quarters. Use two spoons to turn and fold the crepes, arranging around the edges of the pan. Carry crepe pan and pan of warmed rum to the table. Light the rum with a match and pour it over the crepes. When the flames die out, spoon the crepes and sauce onto 4 dessert plates. Makes 4 servings of 3 crepes each.

Donald and I had Crepes Suzette in New Orleans when we went there for a long weekend with the Gagers and the Birds. We stayed at the Royal Sonesta Hotel, and our rooms had balconies overlooking Bourbon Street. Bourbon Street was risque' then, but not raunchy. It was a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment