I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Floating Island Pudding

2 eggs, separated
3/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. sugar, divided
1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
1 can water
Pinch salt
2 tsp. vanilla
3 Tbsp. cornstarch

Combine egg yolks and 3/4 cups sugar. Add milk, water, salt, vanilla and cornstarch, and cook until mixture begins to thicken. Beat egg whites and 1 tablespoon sugar until stiff. Pour custard mixture over egg whites and gently streak it through. Cool before serving. Serves 4 to 6.

This is another of the delicious desserts served to our card group by Cecelia. Puffs of meringue float in soft pudding. The meringue can also be baked in tablespoon size puffs, or poached in salted water, and then floated on the pudding for a different kind of "cloud." It reminds me of the family who lived with us for a year or so when I was a child. It must have been 1946 or 1947. They were Displaced Persons (DP's) from Latvia. They lived upstairs and the father helped my Dad on the farm. I think in addition to their room and board, they were paid a small income so they could save and become independent. They stayed at the farm one winter while we went to Florida. They had a son my age, and a daughter my sister's age (Pietre & Anya). The mother knitted my mother a beautiful wine colored cable sweater and I remember that Mom wore it until it fell apart. One day the mother (can't remember her name) made floating island pudding. It was beautiful, but as children do, since I had never seen one before, I refused to eat it. Now I wish I had. I missed a treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment