I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Saturday, January 16, 2016

Fantasia di Farfel

2 to 3 ripe tomatoes
8 oz. Brie cheese
1 1/2 Tbsp. toasted pine nuts
1/2  cup olive oil
2 tsp. minced garlic
1 Tbsp. chopped parsley
4 large basil leaves, chopped
12 oz. bow tie pasta (farfel)
For garnish:  Chopped parsley or basil and freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Blanch tomatoes in boiling water for 1 minute, then put into cold water to cool.  Peel tomatoes and remove seeds, then dice to make 1 1/2 cups.  Trim rind from Brie and discard.  Cut remaining Brie into 1 to 1 1/2 inch chunks and set aside.  Toast pine nuts in a small pan over low heat for a few minutes with no oil until golden brown (careful--they burn easily).  Heat olive oil in a large frying pan and add the tomatoes, garlic, parsley, and basil.  Sauté for 1 minute; add Brie and toasted pine nuts.  Toss together over low heat for 2 minutes until cheese is almost melted but is not stirred in completely.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

Meanwhile, cook pasta.  Drain and put into pasta bowl.  Pour sauce over; garnish and serve immediately.  Freshly grated Parmesan cheese should be served to add as desired. 

During tomato season, my brother-in-law Paul Cave goes every week or so to a vegetable stand at the edge of a tomato field near Slocomb, Alabama, and buys a case of freshly picked tomatoes.  A number of the recipes in this book which call for fresh tomatoes are the result of Paul's abundant supply of delicious tomatoes.  This is one of his family's favorite recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment