I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Saturday, January 16, 2016

Summer Spaghetti

2 1/2 cups (about 1 lb.) peeled, seeded, and chopped fresh tomatoes (Dip in boiling water for 45 - 60 seconds before peeling)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 Tbsp. shredded fresh basil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 tsp. minced garlic (about 2 med. cloves)
6 to 8 pitted green olives, chopped
2 tsp. capers
1 1/2 Tbsp. wine vinegar or lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 tsp. each dried oregano and crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp. each paprika and pepper
1/8 tsp. salt
8 to 12 oz. spaghetti or other pasta

Combine all ingredients except pasta in a large bowl.  Let stand at room temperature for an hour, or refrigerate up to 8 hours.  Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.  Add the hot pasta to the tomato mixture and toss well.  Serve immediately.  Serves 4-6.

The contact of the cold sauce with the hot pasta releases a unique and delicious flavor.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment