I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Fig Preserves

Wash and sort figs (ripe but not falling apart).  Precook 4 to 6 minutes in boiling water at simmering.  Drain.  Make a syrup of 2 parts sugar, 3 parts water (8 cups sugar and 12 cups water will cover 6 pints of figs).  Boil syrup 10 minutes.  Add drained figs gradually to boiling syrup.  Cook gently for 2 to 4 hours until figs are transparent.  If syrup is not thick, remove figs and boil down the syrup.  Return figs to syrup overnight to plump figs.  Pack figs in clean jars, hot or cold (both figs and jars must be hot or cold).  Seal.  Process 15 minutes in hot water bath. 

Variations:  For each 6 quarts of figs, add 3 sliced lemons to the syrup at the beginning when returning figs to syrup.  Cook with figs and seal in jars same as above OR Add 4 Tbsp. sliced preserved or fresh ginger at the same time as or instead of the lemons.

Donald and I made lots of fig jam and preserves from the trees at our house on Monroe Street.  They are really good on biscuits in the winter.  Try them on oatmeal with a little milk or Half 'n Half.

No comments:

Post a Comment