I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Monday, January 11, 2016

Gazpacho



2 cups chopped or canned tomatoes
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup chopped green tomato or tomatillo
1/2 cup chopped onion (or 6 green onions)
1/4 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped cucumber
1 green pepper, minced
1 carrot, minced
2 Tbsp. snipped parsley
1 tsp. pressed or minced garlic
1/2 cup chopped black olives (optional)
1 fresh jalapeno pepper, minced (or to taste)
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
3 Tbsp. wine vinegar
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
2 1/2 cups V-8 or tomato juice
1 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. fresh chopped cilantro (optional) or substitute parsley
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. basil
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
Croutons

Combine all ingredients.  Optional additional or substitute vegetables--1 cup diced avocado; 1 small zucchini, diced; 3 radishes, diced; 1 small turnip, diced; 2 sun chokes, diced.  (Total of 2 to 2 2 cups vegetables in addition to tomatoes.)  Chill at least four hours.  Serve cold with croutons sprinkled on top.

A good soup for a hot summer day.  This is a variation of my brother-in-law Paul Caves recipe that he makes in huge batches, particularly when his sister Vicky is around.  Everyone has to get what they want first, because Vicky will eat the rest.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment