I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Monday, January 11, 2016

Vegetable Soup

2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 onions, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
3(14 oz.) cans beef, chicken or vegetable broth
2 (16 oz.) cans diced or stewed tomatoes with juice
1 (16 oz.) can baby green lima beans, with juice
1 lb. carrots, peeled and cubed or sliced
3 to 4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 (16 oz.) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 pkg. frozen green beans or green peas (or fresh green beans)
1 (16 oz.) can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
1 small rutabaga, cubed
2 cups chopped kale (optional)
1/2 cup ditilini, macaroni, shells or other pasta (optional)
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. minced garlic
2 bay leaves
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat olive oil in soup pot.  Sauté onions and celery.  Add broth, vegetables, and seasonings together with water as needed.  Simmer for about an hour until vegetables are tender.  If you add pasta, add it during the last five to ten minutes and cook until pasta is done.  Season to taste. 2 WW points per cup.

This makes a big pot of soup which keeps well in the refrigerator.  I love having some of this on hand.  Think I'll go make some now. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment