I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Thursday, January 14, 2016

German Potato Salad

15 small to medium potatoes
1/2 lb. bacon, chopped
1/2 cup vinegar
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. sugar
1/8  tsp. pepper
1 cup chopped onion
2 large cucumbers

Boil potatoes.  Cook bacon until crisp.  Drain bacon grease.  Combine vinegar, salt, sugar, pepper, and onion.  Stir and warm.  Sprinkle cucumbers with salt.  Then squeeze liquid out of cucumbers.  Toss together sliced potatoes, bacon, cucumbers, and dressing.

This is Carolyns recipe which she learned in Germany.  But German potato salad is like all potato salad.  Everyone has their own recipe.  Mike and Kennys mother, Esther, makes delicious German potato salad. She uses green pepper rings instead of cucumbers in the above recipe and a whole pound of bacon.  When pouring off the grease, she leaves about 2 or 3 Tbsp. in the pan and adds vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper to the pan, heating until the dressing is warm.  She pours this over the potatoes and then garnishes with green pepper rings and diced onion or chopped green onion.   Both recipes are very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment