I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Saturday, January 2, 2016

Orzo with Peas and Mint

1 cup orzo (small rice-shaped pasta)
2 Tbsp. butter
1 shallot, minced (about 2 Tbsp.)
Zest of 1 lemon
2 cups frozen or fresh shelled peas
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
2 Tbsp. freshly chopped mint

Cook orzo according to package directions. Drain, reserving cooking water. Melt butter over medium heat and saute' shallot and lemon zest until translucent. Add peas, and cook until bright green and tender, adding a little water if shallots brown before peas are tender. Add cooked orzo, season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine, adding a little of the reserved cooking water to moisten, if necessary. Remove from heat, and stir in mint.

No comments:

Post a Comment