I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Sunday, January 17, 2016

Pancakes

1 cup flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2  tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 large egg, beaten
1 cup milk
2 Tbsp. melted butter
Oil for grill or pan

Heat griddle or cast iron skillet over medium heat.  Mix dry ingredients in bowl.  Add remaining ingredients.  Whisk just to combine.  Batter should have small to medium lumps.  Griddle is ready if a drop of water bounces and pops on it.  If it just boils, it is not hot enough.  If it evaporates at once, it is too hot.  Using a pastry brush, lightly brush a small amount of oil on griddle and pour about 1/4 cup batter for each pancake.  Bake until bubbles form and some pop, and pancake is brown on under side and dry around the edges.  Turn over and bake other side.   Turn only once.

Donald cooked thousands of pancakes for children and grandchildren, much to their delight.  For buttermilk pancakes, substitute
1 1/2 cups buttermilk for milk and add 2 tsp. baking soda.  Try adding a cup fresh or frozen blueberries, or chopped nuts or banana slices.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment