I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Sunday, January 24, 2016

Pavlova

3 egg whites
Pinch of salt
6 oz. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. malt vinegar
1 tsp. cornstarch
Whipped cream

Beat egg whites and salt until quite stiff.  Fold in sugar a little at a time beating as you go.  Add vanilla, vinegar, and cornstarch.  Pile onto a cookie sheet covered with grease-proof or parchment paper and bake slowly at 200 degrees for 1 to 1 1/2 hours (sometimes a little longer).  When baked, it should be a little crisp on top like meringue and kind of marshmallowy in the center.  Remove from oven and cool.  When cold, turn upside down onto a plate and peel off the paper.  Cover with lots of whipped cream and decorate with sliced kiwi fruit, strawberries, or grated chocolate. 

This is a traditional New Zealand dessert made by my friend Elizabeth Simmons, who is from New Zealand.  She worked with me for many years and added an air of gentility and sophistication to our office with her beautiful accent and graceful manners.  She made Pavlova  one year for my birthday.  Yum Yum.  Liz adds that she always doubles or triples the recipe as it makes the dessert look bigger and better.  Her only disaster was making it on a very humid day in summer.  She was making two for a wedding reception and they came out like pancakes.  In desperation, she stuck them together with whipped cream like a layered cake and piled more whipped cream on top.  It was a huge success!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment