I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Sunday, January 24, 2016

Meringues

For every 4 egg whites, use 1/2 lb. sugar.  It is necessary to weigh the sugar as different sugars have different weight and volume.  The eggs should be at room temperature, at least 70 degrees.  Separate the eggs.  Save the yolks for another use.  Whip the whites when you are ready to make the meringues.  Preheat oven to 475 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  Using a spoon and spatula or a pastry bag, shape meringue into kisses or nests or a larger ring.    Place pan in oven, and turn the oven off.  Forget it for 8 hours or overnight.  Dont peek.  Fill ring or nests with ice cream, pudding or fruit when ready to serve. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment