I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Monday, January 4, 2016

Perogies

4 1/2 cups flour
1 egg
1 pint (2 cups) sour cream
1/2 tsp. salt

Mix all ingredients with enough water to make a medium soft dough (about 5 tablespoons). Knead well, then roll until thin. Cut into squares or circles. Place on each square or circle 1 tsp of filling. Fold into triangles or half moons. Pinch edges well. Drop in salted water and cook until all rise to the top of water. Then cook 5 minutes longer. When done, strain and rinse with water. Place in serving dish and pour melted butter and onions over them or sauté in butter and serve topped with bread crumbs toasted in butter and sour cream or serve in a savory broth like wonton soup.  

Or

6 cups flour
1 pint sour cream
4 eggs

Combine ingredients well in mixer with dough hook. Let rest for 20 minutes in a covered bowl. Divide in half or thirds and roll out.

Or

PIEROGI RECIPE
Makes 100 pierogi

WHISK together I egg and 7 tablespoons of regular sour cream.
ADD 4 cups of flour.
ADD almost 1 cup of tepid water. 
MIX it all well in mixer with dough hook.  Then knead it on cutting board till it feels ‘right’.  Rest it for about 15 minutes in a covered bowl. Divide the dough in 4 equal parts and roll thin  I do roll the dough thin to avoid doughy pierogi.  Each part makes about 25 pierogi.  It is an easy recipe and the dough is nice and stretchy and makes delicious pierogi.

Potato Filling:
Mash a few boiled potatoes with American Cheese, butter and milk

Cabbage Filling:
Chop cabbage fine, add 1 tsp salt and set aside to stand for several minutes. Squeeze water from cabbage. Fry with butter, add 1 tsp sugar. Stir occasionally until brown.

Prep time approx 2 hours


This is a good Polish recipe given to me by Cheryl McDermott. I am sure my mother-in-law's recipe was very similar. Perogies are really good. When Gage was just learning to eat on his own, Eric would fix him perogies (frozen kind) because he could pick them up in his fingers and feed himself. He loved them. He was an international baby because he loved Chinese pot stickers too. They aren't all that different from perogies.

No comments:

Post a Comment