I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Sunday, January 17, 2016

Poppy Seed or Nut Roll

4 cups flour           
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
8 tsp. sugar
1 pkg. yeast (2 tsp. sugar in yeast)
3/4 cup scalded milk
5 egg yolks (reserve whites for filling)
2 tsp. vanilla

Cut butter into flour.  Dissolve yeast, milk, and sugar.  Beat egg yolks and add vanilla.  Combine with flour mixture and yeast mixture.  Mix well.  Let sit ten minutes, covered.  Cut dough into 3 parts.  Put each part on floured board and roll out well until 1/4 inch thick.  Spread on 1/3 of filling and roll from long side like jelly roll.  Lay rolls on baking sheet.  Two can fit on one sheet.  Let rise for 2 hours.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.

Poppy Seed Filling:
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/2 lb. poppy seeds, ground
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 Tbsp. flour

Bring milk and butter to boil.  Add sugar and poppy seeds.  Cook 15 minutes on slow heat.  Mix with wooden spoon.  Sift flour into mixture and cook a couple of minutes.  Cool.

Nut Filling:
1 lb. ground walnuts or pecans
1 cup sugar
1/2cup milk
5 egg whites

Cook nuts, sugar, and milk together 5 minutes.  Cool to lukewarm.  Beat egg whites until stiff.  Fold into cooked nut mixture.  Enough for 3 rolls.

This is my mother-in-law, Victoria Piotrowski's,  recipe.  The poppy seed filling is a Polish tradition.  For those who don't care for poppy seeds, the nut filling is also delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment