I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Friday, January 1, 2016

Pretzel Salad

2 cups coarsely crushed pretzels
1/4 cup melted butter (4 Tbsp.)
3 Tbsp. sugar
1 package (8 oz) fat-free or reduced fat cream cheese
1/2 cup sugar
1 (8 oz.) container fat-free whipped topping
2 packages (0.6 oz) sugar-free strawberry gelatin
2 cups boiling water
2 packages (10 oz. each) frozen sliced strawberries

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine the crushed pretzels, butter and 3 Tbsp. sugar. Pat into a 9 x 13 pan and bake for 7 minutes. Set aside to cool. In a mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese and 1/2 cup sugar. Fold in the whipped topping and spread over the cool crust. Refrigerate until well chilled. In a medium-size bowl, dissolve the gelatin in the boiling water, stirring until completely dissolved. Add the frozen strawberries and stir. Pour the gelatin mixture over the cream-cheese mixture and refrigerate until fully set. Makes 12 servings, 256 calories; 5 gm fat; 1 gm fiber each. 5 W.W. points per serving.
This is a reduced-calorie version of a salad often served in the 50's and 60's. I most recently had it as prepared by Cecelia Sands at one of our Thursday card playing sessions. It's still very good even though the recipe is over 50 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment