I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Friday, January 1, 2016

Wild Rice Salad

1 cup wild rice
1 can (6 oz.) green peas, drained, or 5 oz. frozen peas, thawed
1 jar (6 oz.) marinated artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
(reserve the marinade)
1/3 cup coarsely chopped green pepper
3 green onions, chopped (white and green parts)
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup slivered almonds

Add rice to 2 cups boiling salted water. Stir well, cover, and simmer on low heat for 45 minutes. Drain and cool to room temperature. In a bowl, toss rice, peas, artichoke hearts and marinade, peppers, onions, tomatoes, and half the dressing. Cover and chill until ready to serve, then toss again. Add remaining dressing to taste, and sprinkle with almonds. Serves 8.

Dressing:

1 1/3 cups canola oil
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. celery seed
1/2 tsp. ground white pepper
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp. paprika
1 clove garlic, minced

Combine ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid, and shake well. Refrigerate until ready to use. Try using less oil, and add dressing just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment