I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Red Beans and Rice Salad

2 cups raw long-grain or basmati rice
1/4 cup vegetable or olive oil
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 tsp. each:  salt, pepper, and sugar
1/4 tsp. each: dry mustard, cayenne pepper, garlic powder
2 (15 oz.) cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup each:  diced red and green bell pepper
1 small red or Vidalia onion, diced
6 green onions, sliced thin
2 Tbsp. finely chopped parsley
1 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh tarragon or 1 tsp. dried tarragon
1 cup diced celery
1 lb. shrimp, cooked, peeled, and deveined and/or
1/2 lb. smoked sausage, cooked and sliced (meat is optional)

Cook rice.  Cool until warm.  For dressing, put oil, vinegar, and seasonings into jar with tight-fitting lid.  Shake well to blend.  Add remaining ingredients and dressing to rice;  toss to mix.  Let stand a few minutes to allow flavors to blend.  Best served immediately at room temperature. If prepared in advance, refrigerate and add dressing just before serving. 

This is a variation of a recipe I got from Cursillo friend Teresa (Kolanko) Leslie.  It looks good, tastes good, and with bread makes a complete meal.  Cursillo means "little course" or “short course" in Spanish.  It is a Christian renewal movement started in Spain in the 40s.  Beginning in 1985, Donald and I made many good friends participating in Cursillo activities and working on teams to put on the 3-day Cursillo weekends.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment