I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Saturday, January 16, 2016

Red Beans and Rice

12 oz. dried small red beans or kidney beans
1 or 2 bay leaves
1 large onion, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, crushed
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
Olive oil
8 oz. smoked ham or sausage, in bite size pieces
1 Tbsp. chopped parsley (fresh or dried)
Dash each of cayenne pepper and Worcestershire sauce
Salt, pepper, and Tabasco to taste
3 cups cooked white or yellow rice

Soak beans overnight or cover with water and bring to boil; remove from heat and soak, covered, for 1 to 2 hours.  Drain and place in heavy kettle with bay leaves and water to cover.  Cook 1 hour or until tender.  Sauté onions, garlic, celery, and carrots in a little olive oil.  Add ham or sausage.  Cook mixture until beans are tender.  Add vegetable mixture and seasonings to cooked beans and simmer over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes.  Add more water or broth if necessary.  Add salt, pepper, and Tabasco to taste.  Serve over rice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment