I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Thursday, January 14, 2016

Rice

1 cup rice
2 cups water

Bring water to boil.  Add rice.  Stir and bring back to boil.  Stir and then cover.  If using electric stove, turn off burner, but leave pot on burner for 20 minutes.  Do not lift lid or stir.  If gas, reduce heat to lowest setting and leave for 20 minutes, stirring once or twice.  Rice will be done just right and won't stick to pot.  Fluff with fork and serve.

This is included in memory of my mother-in-law, Victoria Piotrowski.  Several years after Donald and I were married, Vicky came to visit.  She was an accomplished cook, and I was only starting out.  She had any number of suggestions about how I could do things, all delivered in the kindest way.  Near the end of the week, I cooked rice.  Her suggestion as to how I could better cook rice, while made very graciously, was about the last suggestion I could handle.  However, once the visit was over, I tried it, and its really the only sensible way to cook rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment