I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Sunday, January 3, 2016

Roasted Winter Vegetables

2 parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
3 cups peeled, cubed butternut squash
1 fennel bulb, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 onion, peeled and cut into wedges
(Carrots, sweet or white potatoes, mushrooms, turnips or rutabagas, are all good additions or substitutions)
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 1/4 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp. turmeric

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Combine vegetables in a large bowl. Combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Sprinkle seasonings over the vegetables and toss until coated. Spread on a baking sheet. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Makes 6 one cup servings, 3 W.W. points per cup.

Variations: Try this just coating the vegetables with oil, roast per recipe, and then toss just before serving with a sauce made by heating 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup maple syrup, and 2 tsp. chili powder.

Or use equal amounts (1 cup each) turnips, parsnips, sweet potato, carrots. Toss vegetables with olive oil, salt, pepper, and 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary. Roast as above. Combine 2 Tbsp. maple syrup, 2 Tbsp. Balsamic vinegar, and 1/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth in a small pan. Simmer until reduced, about 5 minutes. Drizzle over vegetables in oven, and bake for last 5 minutes.

I love roasted winter vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment