I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Sunday, January 3, 2016

Butternut Squash Puree

4 pounds butternut squash
6 Tbsp. butter, melted and divided
4 Tbsp. dark brown sugar
1/2 cinnamon stick
1/2 banana, sliced
1 medium apple, Fuji or Gala, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 cup fresh orange juice
1 cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut squash in half, remove seeds,  and place on a roasting pan, cut side up. Brush liberally with 4 Tbsp. melted butter, then roast for 50 minutes. Flip the squash cut side down and continue roasting 10 to 20 minutes more, or until the squash has caramelized and is cooked through. Scoop out pulp and reserve.

In a heavy saute pan over high heat, melt 2 Tbsp. butter. Add brown sugar, cinnamon, banana, and apple; stir to caramelize fruit. Add the orange juice and reduce to a glaze about the consistency of pancake syrup. Add the cream and reduce by 75%. Add the squash pulp and fold in until smooth. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Remove cinnamon stick. While still warm, blend in a food processor. Add salt and pepper. Serve warm. Makes 1 quart.

I really like butternut squash. This is a good way to fix it, but only on special occasions because of the relatively large quantities of butter and cream. 

No comments:

Post a Comment