I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Spaghetti Sauce

I dont have a recipe for spaghetti sauce.  I used to make spaghetti sauce from scratch, but it took a lot of time, and the results were inconsistent.  I discovered Ragu was just as good as my spaghetti sauce, so thats what I use now (heresy to those who believe in “real” spaghetti sauce).  I do have a story to tell about spaghetti sauce and it may have something to do with my lack of interest in spending the time to make it from scratch.  When Stephen was a teenager, he and Donald spent quite a few weekends hunting with Dons friends Bob and Ed Sansom.  They stayed at a small hunting cabin owned by the Sansoms at Kennedy Creek in Liberty County.  One weekend for their contribution to the weekend food, Donald and Stephen asked me to make spaghetti sauce.  On Friday afternoon I rushed home and threw it together and let it simmer while they got their gear ready to go.  As they walked out the door, Stephen picked up the pot from the stove.  I tried to give him a potholder but, with teenage bravado, he assured me he would make it to the truck.  Halfway there, he dropped it and spilled the spaghetti sauce in the yard.  I was disgusted; Stephen was mortified.  I don’t know what they ate that weekend, maybe it was Ragu.  It soon became a funny story we enjoyed telling, thank goodness.

We have more than one funny memory about spaghetti sauce.  Each year when we went to Daytona for the motorcycle races, Linda Gager would bring a big pot of spaghetti sauce.  Eating at the Gagers was always an eye opening experience because Sonny likes everything seasoned liberally with Tabasco.  In fact we gave him a gallon of Tabasco sauce for Christmas one year and it was gone by the next Christmas.  One year at Daytona, we sat down with the Gagers and the Birds to enjoy Lindas spaghetti.  At the first bite, our eyes popped open wider than usual.  It seems that Sonny decided the spaghetti should be good and spicy so he added a lot of Tabasco.  Linda didnt know he had been meddling, and added her usual portion of Tabasco before serving.  Wow!!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment