I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Thursday, January 14, 2016

Squash Casserole

1 Tbsp. butter
2 lbs. yellow squash, washed and sliced (about 6 to 8 medium)
1 large Vidalia onion, thinly sliced or chopped
1/2 cup sour cream
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 sleeve saltine or Ritz crackers, crushed
Salt and pepper

Saute squash and onions in butter until tender. Reserve 3 Tbsp. crackers and 3 Tbsp. cheese. Stir in remaining crackers, cheese, beaten eggs, and sour cream. Add salt and pepper to taste. . Put squash mixture into buttered casserole dish and sprinkle top with remaining reserved cheese and crackers. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes until golden brown. 

Linda (Thorne) Palmer is another friend from the crowd Donald and I spent a lot of time with before we got married (and since). She is a good Southern cook from Alabama. For years I thought she made the best squash casserole in the world until I tried this recipe. Linda cooked squash casserole for us one weekend when we went to visit her and Jim when they lived in Augusta, Georgia. I believe that was the time Jim dropped the steaks on the ground. E. G. Bird must have taught him how to cook.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment