I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Thursday, January 14, 2016

Steamed Winter Vegetables

2 lbs. carrots
1 med. rutabaga
1 lb. parsnips
1 small cabbage (optional)
3 To 5 slices bacon (optional)

Peel carrots, parsnips, and rutabagas; cut in 1/2 to 1 inch chunks.  Discard outer leaves of cabbage; wash and cut in wedges.  Put rutabagas and cabbage in steamer and cook 5 minutes.  Add carrots and cook 5 minutes or until almost tender.  Add parsnips and cook until just tender (they cook quite fast).  Put in bowl and sprinkle with melted butter, salt and pepper.  Or brown 3 slices bacon, cool, and crumble.  Mix 1 Tbsp. bacon grease with 3 cup vegetable steaming water.  Toss with steamed vegetables.  Add salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle with crumbled bacon.

Donald and I went to a party on St. George Island at the home of some  Southern friends.  At midnight the music stopped and we ate.  One dish was potatoes, carrots, and rutabagas boiled together with about a pound of bacon.  It tasted wonderful!!  It was so good we developed this recipe which is also great and doesnt call for a pound of bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment