I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Tabouli

1 cup bulgur wheat, soaked in cold water to cover for about 20 minutes
1 medium onion or 4 scallions, finely chopped
1/2 cups finely chopped fresh parsley
2 tomatoes, one cut in small cubes, one in wedges
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh mint
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
Salt to taste
Romaine lettuce separated into leaves
1 green pepper
 
Drain bulgur and squeeze out as much moisture as possible with your hands or a clean dishtowel.  Combine with scallions, parsley, cubed tomato, and mint.  Combine oil, lemon juice, and a little salt.  Mix gently into wheat and vegetable mixture.  Taste and adjust seasoning.  It should be lemony. Cover and chill.  To serve, mound on lettuce leaves.  Decorate with tomato wedges and green pepper rings or strips.  The lettuce leaves were traditionally used to scoop up the salad.  Sometimes I add drained garbanzo beans to the salad.

We tried for years to grow mint, but never had any luck until we moved to Lake Talquin.  Then we ate quite a bit of this refreshing salad which only tastes good with fresh mint.  My friend Barbara Senf was  correct when she said some people love this salad, some people just say Yuck. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment