I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Cousin Mary Martins recipe for Broccoli Bacon Cheesy Quiche

Hi everyone!  Here's my recipe for Broccoli Bacon Cheesy Quiche!  I hope it's as big of a hit at your home as it is at mine!

1 pie crust-homemade or frozen ( I LOVE @MarieCallendar frozen pie crusts)
4 slices center cut bacon
1 tbsp. olive oil
3 cups fresh chopped broccoli
1/4 c. finely chopped onion or shallots
1 tsp. minced garlic
4 large eggs
1 cup 2% milk
1/3 c. grated fresh parmesan
1/2 c. shredded mozzarella
1/2 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350.  Cook bacon in a large frying pan until golden and crispy on both sides.  Do not burn!  Remove to paper towel lined plate and set aside.  Remove most of the grease from the frying pan. Add olive oil to the pan over medium.  Saute onions for a few minutes, then add garlic and broccoli and continue cooking until broccoli is slightly tender.  Chop bacon and add to pan..then remove from heat.
If using a from scratch thawed pie crust, place in oven for about  8 minutes to slightly prebake.  If using frozen, follow package instructions for quiche and custard filling pies.
In bowl, add eggs, milk and parmesan cheese to mixing bowl and whisk well to combine.  Season with salt and pepper.
Once pie crust is pre-baked (or not with frozen)evenly layer all of the mozzarella cheese and 1/2 of the cheddar cheese  into the pie crust.  Then sprinkle the broccoli/bacon mixture over the cheese.  Make sure to layer everything evenly.  Pour egg mixture over the top and then sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese.
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes-1 hour. (depends on your oven) You want the top of the quiche to be a slight golden brown and no liquid jiggling of the egg mixture.
Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before slicing.  Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment