I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Sunday, September 27, 2020

Sofrito

12 large Aji Dulce peppers
1 small bunch cilantro
1 head garlic
1 red bell pepper
½ green pepper
1 yellow onion
1 Tbsp. each capers, oregano and pepper
¼ cup pimento-stuffed olives
½ cup olive oil

Process all ingredients in food processor to texture of semi-chunky salsa.  Use at once, refrigerate for up to a week, or freeze in recipe-size batches. 

I grew a lot of these peppers from seeds I got at the library and found this is a great way to use them.  They are just barely spicy.  The Aji Dulce is the traditional pepper used in Puerto Rico and other parts of the Caribbean to make Sofrito, a sauce that is used as a base in Latin American, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese cooking.  There are many regional variations on the sauce with some adding tomatoes, some which add bay leaves, carrots, or chorizo and other ingredients, but most contain garlic and all contain peppers.  It can be used as a base for pasta sauces, sautéed vegetables, soups, stews, beans, meats, rice, or in dips and spreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment