I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Monday, October 19, 2020

Sweet potato and Black Bean Quesadillas

Mashed sweet potatoes 
Chile powder
Garlic powder
Chipotle powder or chiles in adobo
Smoked paprika (Not necessary if using adobo)
Cinnamon
8” Flour tortillas
Canned or frozen whole kernel corn. (Optional)
Canned or cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
Grated cheese—cheddar or Mexican blend

Bake, roast or boil sweet potatoes.  Mash with seasonings to taste.  Put about 2 Tbsp. grated cheese on half of tortilla. Add  a little more than half a cup of potato mixture on top of cheese.  Spread to about half an inch from the edge.  Add 1 Tbsp. of corn and 2 Tbsp. beans. And press into potatoes.  Add about 2 Tbsp. cheese and fold other half of tortilla over to form half moon.  Press down edges to secure filling.  

Add a small amount of oil or some cooking spray to frying pan and toast quesadilla on each side making sure filling is heated and cheese is melted.  Serve with salsa, sour cream, and avocado or guacamole as desired.  Sprinkle with chopped cilantro.  

These freeze really well in individual vacuum packs.  When desired, remove from freezer.  Do not thaw or microwave.  Heat in frying pan same as above, starting slowly to allow quesadilla time to thaw and heat.  Adding a lid to the pan near the end for a few minutes will help make sure the interior is hot.   

I often have a bountiful harvest of sweet potatoes.  This is a great way to store them. I also freeze the mashed sweet potatoes in four-cup vacuum packs to use in casseroles, pies, and quick breads.  

No comments:

Post a Comment