I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Thursday, November 16, 2023

Becky’s Savory Snack Mix

½ cup butter (1 stick)
1 ½ tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 ½ - 2 teaspoons herbs and spices of your choice. Typically at least 1 tsp. ground cumin, plus some combination of dried rosemary and thyme.  May also heat it up with chili powder or chipotle powder, or make it smoky with smoked paprika.  If you are not worried about salt, any favorite seasoned salt is ok.
 
8 cups mixed cereal and small snacks; rice or corn chex, goldfish or Cheezit crackers, sesame sticks, small pretzels, Cheerios.
 
1 cup mixed nuts. Salt-free, if trying to reduce salt.  Honey or other glazed nuts is nice. 
 
Melt butter in large flat pan, in the preheated oven or on stove top.  If you don’have anything bigger than a regular sheet cake pan, use 2 of those and divide all ingredients between them.  Stir in the Worcestershire sauce, herbs and spices.
 
Stir cereal/crackers and nuts into pan to coat with butter mix. Put in 250 degree oven for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Cool. Keeps unrefrigerated for as long as it is likely to last.

No comments:

Post a Comment