I have been adding recipes for a while to a new cookbook so I could find them when I wanted to cook them. In the electronic age, a digital version seems to make more sense, since I can add, amend, advise, adjust, delete, and reconsider as often as I want to and you can access them if and when you please. I've included the recipes from my original cookbook which many of you have. I'm also going to be adding pictures as I retest many of these recipes. They aren't the latest thing or nouvelle cuisine. They're comfort food, good memories, treasured family recipes, and occasional treats as well as many healthier recipes I've grown to like in recent years. I encourage you to add comments, pictures, and favorite recipes to make this a real family cooking spot. It's the next best thing to sharing a meal.






Monday, January 4, 2016

Seafood Casserole

6 Tbsp. butter, divided
1 cup chopped onion
1 ½ cups chopped celery
2 ½ cups milk
6 Tbsp. all purpose flour
4 oz. cheddar cheese, sliced
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. black pepper
1/4 lb. crab meat
1/4 lb. lobster meat
1/4 lb. medium shrimp
1/4 lb. scallops

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a medium baking dish. Melt 3 Tbsp. butter in a skillet, and saute the onions and celery until tender. Set aside. Heat the milk in a saucepan over medium heat. In the same pan where you sauted the onion mixture, melt the other 3 Tbsp. butter, stir in flour and cook one minute. Stir in the warm milk and cook until slightly thickened. Gradually blend the cheese into the mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Mix the onions and celery with the cheese sauce. Add the seafood and toss to combine. Transfer to prepared baking dish. Bake uncovered 25 minutes, or until the seafood is opaque and the surface is lightly browned. 

I got this really good recipe from my friend Judy Steele. For a variation in the seafood casserole above, try using Swiss or another good cheese instead of cheddar. Bread crumbs and parmesan cheese on top would be good too.

No comments:

Post a Comment